What Are Tums?
Tums are a medication that is used to treat heartburn, indigestion, and upset stomach. They are also a source of calcium. Tums come in various forms, including chews, tablets, and liquids.
This medication is generally considered safe for adults and children over the age of 12. However, there is limited information available on the safety of Tums in young children.
What Are the Risks of Letting My Toddler Eat Tums?
My toddler ate tums. Should I be worried? There are several potential risks associated with letting your toddler eat Tums. These include:
Tums are a choking hazard for toddlers. They can easily choke on the chews or tablets. If your child is choking, it is important to call 911 immediately and begin CPR if necessary.
Another potential risk is an allergic reaction. Tums contain calcium, which some people are allergic to. If your child is allergic to calcium, they may experience symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, or tongue.
It is also possible for your toddler to overdose on Tums. Symptoms of an overdose include:
- stomach pain;
If your toddler ate tums and is experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to call poison control or go to the emergency room immediately.
Interactions With Other Medications
Tums can interact with other medications. If your child is taking any other medication, it is important to speak to their doctor before giving them Tums.
In addition to the risks above, there are also some potential side effects associated with letting your toddler eat Tums. These include:
- upset stomach;
- calcium deposits in the kidney.
If your child is experiencing any of these side effects, it is important to speak to their doctor.
My Toddler Ate Tums. What to Do?
If your toddler ate tums, the first thing you should do is call poison control or go to the emergency room. It is also a good idea to speak to their doctor.
Generally, the risks associated with letting your toddler eat Tums are low. However, it is always a good idea to speak to a medical professional if you have any concerns.
If your toddler ate tums in a high amount, it is possible that they could experience an overdose. If your child experiences any of the symptoms, it is important to call poison control or go to the emergency room immediately.
It is also important to speak to their doctor about any other medications your child is taking. Tums can interact with other medications and may cause side effects.
My Toddler Ate Tums. How to Prevent That in the Future?
Toddlers are notoriously curious and can get into everything. If you have Tums in your house, it is important to keep them out of reach of your toddler. Here’s how you can prevent your toddler from eating Tums in the future:
- Keep them out of reach. Put Tums in a high cabinet or on a shelf that your toddler cannot reach.
- Put them in a child-resistant container. You can find child-resistant containers at most stores that sell Tums. This will help to keep your toddler from getting into them.
- Explain to your toddler what Tums are and why they should not eat them. It is important to talk to your toddler about Tums and why they are not for eating. You can also tell them that if they eat Tums, they will get a tummy ache.
- Make sure to keep an eye on your toddler when they are around Tums. Do not let them out of your sight when Tums are within reach.
Now you know what to do if your toddler ate Tums. If you have any concerns, it is always a good idea to speak to a medical professional. Thanks for reading!
- Toddler Swallowed a Penny? What to Do and Where to Get Help?
- Can You Take Bonine While Pregnant? About Motion Sickness Medications
- Colourless Bumps on a Toddler’s Skin: What to Do About Them
- Toddler Fell off the Bed? Signs of Injury to Look For and Next Steps
- Should I Be Worried About My Child’s Red Poop? Toddler Health Guide